Dear Caiman Families,
We are elated to share some great news with you and your student-athletes regarding CAHS sports.
First of all, we are proud to announce the hiring of Coach Aaron Vermilyea as our interim Head Coach for our Varsity baseball team. Over the past several years, Coach Vermilyea has done a fantastic job as Head Coach of our JV baseball team. He will be a great fit for us during this season as we work towards growing our program while maintaining the excellence that has been established with our CAHS baseball program and community.
Secondly, as of today the Stay At Home Order has been officially lifted. In short, what that means for us at this moment, is that our Cross Country, Swim & Dive, and our Mountain Bike teams will be officially starting Feb 1st and allowed to participate in competitions.
Please see the additional information provided below to understand the broader scope of where we are when it comes to CIF sports in regards to our current situation:
- All CIF sports are determined by the tier assignments based on our county covid tier status.
- Competitions for each sport are not allowed until our county is in the assigned tier, however, sports can start practicing once they reach the point in which their sport is within one tier level of their assigned tier.
- Physical conditioning, practice, skill building, and training that can be conducted outdoors are currently authorized for all sports regardless of county tier status.
- Athletes and coaches may only participate in one team (cohort) at a time. The only exception is Track & Field and Cross Country. These two sports are considered one cohort and can compete in both sports at the same time.
- Athletes may not compete in the same CIF sport and competitive sport at the same time.
- You can find the start dates and tier level for all other sports HERE.
We understand that the release of the guidance will create a lot of questions. CIF is asking for our patience as they work with our section leaders to review the impact the new guidance from the California Department of Health has on the CIF-San Diego Section and our plan for the start of additional sports. We will pass on any updates we receive.
As of now, we will be moving forward with the CIF scheduled start of Cross Country and Swim & Dive on February 1st. Our mountain biking team will also be starting. We want to assure you that all workouts are optional and will follow state, county, and CIF safety protocols and procedures. Details regarding the start of each sport season will be communicated by coaches.
In the meantime...
1. Make sure your athlete is cleared to play by completing their sports clearance paperwork HERE.
2. Download our Caiman Sports App or go to caimansports.com to view all start of season announcements by checking out the "News" page of any sport.
3. Make sure and fill out the athlete interest form so that your coach will be able to reach out to you with start of season announcements. The link to those forms can be found on our Sport Info Page.
Thank you again for your patience and flexibility with all the changes and delays in the start of sports in this very unusual year. We look forward to seeing you all out there very soon!
Stay safe and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
The CAHS Athletics Team